If you are a fan of Italian cuisine 🇮🇹 👌 and if you like pasta in general, but at the same time you like a healthy diet, this recipe – I am saying this shamelessly, since this is my recipe – will DELIGHT you! 🍝🥰
After all, who can resist such an authentic dish that is a fantasy of taste like the unique Roman dish la pasta alla carbonara! 🍝👌
Ingredients for the classic pasta alla carobanara:
- Spaghettoni (thick spaghetti)
- Guanciale (pig cheek)
- pecorino (cheese)
Ingredients for raw, vegan pasta alla carbonara:
Ingredients for pasta:
- 4 small zucchini (it is important that they are young, without seeds in the middle)
- 1 teaspoon of dried celery
- If desired, for marinating the pasta – sage and rosemary tea
Ingredients for guanciale:
- 1 avocado
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small stalk of celery
- 0.3 oz / 10 g of dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of sage
- 1 teaspoon of rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of dried garlic
- 1 clove of garlic
Ingredients for sauce:
- 2 persimmons* – Fuyu (flat) or Hachiya (round)
*They must not be frozen, then thawed, nor too soft.
- 0.7 oz / 20 g sesame seeds
- Knife and chopping board
- Silicon mould
- Vegetable peeler
- Hygienic gloves
- Jug for heating water
- Nut milk bag
- Rolling pin
- Mortar and pestle
- About 8 hours before making the pasta, start making guanciale.
- Cut the avocado into 2 halves.
- Guanciale is a fatty ingredient made from pig cheeks. In English, the side of a fruit is called cheek. So we are using avocado cheeks. And as avocado is a fatty fruit, this means that we are not changing the original recipe at all!
- Remove the avocado pit.
- Scoop out the flesh from each avocado half.
- Chop the bell pepper, removing the stem and all the seeds.
- Chop the celery stalk.
- Now we are about to use an extremely loud kitchen appliance, so first we are protecting our ears.
- Place the avocado flesh, chopped bell pepper and celery in the jug of the blender, and blend these three ingredients together.
- Add the dried tomatoes to the blender jug – by the way, I dry my own tomatoes in my trusty dehydrator, and so can you! 😉
- Blend the dried tomatoes with the other ingredients in the blender.
- Then add spices into the blender jug: dried garlic, rosemary and sage.
- Briefly blend all the ingredients in the blender.
- Mmmmm just look at the creamy content we got!
- Fill a silicone mould shaped like guanciale slices with this creamy content.
- Clean the edges of the mold with a paper towel.
- Add one clove of garlic on top of the mould. This garlic clove will transfer its aroma to the guanciale during dehydration.
- Place the filled silicone mould in the dehydrator and dehydrate your guanciale for about 7 hours at 115 F degrees / 46 C degrees.
- You can order the dehydrator through the link is in the description of this video.
- Cut off the zucchini ends.
- Peel the zucchinis.
- Use the spiralizer to make spaghettoni, that is, thick spaghetti.
- Transfer the spaghettoni into a bowl.
- Add dried celery salt to the spaghettoni and massage it well into the spaghettoni.
- This simple massage reduces the volume of pasta.
- If desired, you can also marinate this pasta in sage and rosemary tea.
- Transfer the pasta into a glass bowl.
- Take one cup of purified water. Water quality is of crucial importance for health. I use a reverse osmosis filter which I highly recommend.
- Make a strong sage and rosemary tea.
- Pour the warm tea over the pasta.
- Warm up the paste by leaving it in the dehydrator for 15-30 minutes at 115 F degrees / 46 C degrees.
- Marinating the pasta in this tea gives the pasta a very nice aromatic note.
- Place the sesame seeds in a nut milk bag.
- And now you simply roll out the sesame seeds with a rolling pin.
- Lo and behold – we got pecorino!
Preparing the sauce
- Cut the persimmons in half.
- Remove the stalks and any potential seeds – it is very important to remove all the seeds!
- Peel the persimmons, and then chop them.
- Put the peeled and chopped persimmons in the blender jug.
- Blend the persimmons in the blender to get a thick sauce.
- Transfer this sauce into a bowl.
- Add pecorino to this orange sauce.
- Mix these 2 ingredients well.
- Take out the pasta from the dehydrator, and strain it, but save the tea in which it was marinated.
- Add one spoonful of this tea to the sauce, then mix the sauce well.
Finalising the pasta
- Add the sauce to the pasta.
- Mix the pasta and sauce well.
- Take out the guanciale from the dehydrator.
- Remove the garlic clove.
- Chop a few slices of guanciale and add them to the pasta.
- Mix everything well.
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush the peppercorns.
- Transfer the crushed peppercorn to a fine sieve, to separate only the pepper powder.
- Add the fine pepper powder into the pasta.
- Transfer the pasta to a plate.
- On top of the pasta, add a couple of more slices of guanciale.
- Add more pepper as a finishing touch.
- And our la pasta alla carbonara is finita!
And now the moment of truth has come!
Mmmmmm Mamma Mia!
I hope you will enjoy this incredibly tasty Italian dish raw vegan style 🍝 🇮🇹
To your health!
Marina from Health Glows
Learn to prepare 157 delicious & healthy recipes with the
Raw Vegan Culinary Set